Thursday, May 17, 2012

Things on Thursday: Heavy Equipment and Unsung Heroes

When you buy a new-construction home, you get to see first-hand the skill and confidence of the men who work with heavy equipment. What I loved about the guy who seeded our yard was the joy he took in his work. While grading the yard, he manuvered the bull dozer with the skill of a brain surgeon, taking obvious care to get the yard just right. He seeded carefully and thoroughly. And then he sprayed straw.



While spraying the straw, I saw a huge grin on his face that made me run for the camera. Alas, I didn't capture his joy at using that heavy equipment in pixels. He was nearing the end of a long day of hard labor, but he pushed bales of straw into the spreader and then watched that straw flying through the yard like it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.

He was making it happen, with his own two hands and heavy equipment.

Kid in a candy store. That's what he reminded me of.

In so many ways, our culture has lost its appreciation of skilled labor, of hard physical work, of a job well done. We take the work of others for granted, only noticing when the job isn't well done, when we have an opportunity to complain. George and I both come from working class roots. His grandfathers were a plumber and carpenter, mine was an auto mechanic. We've enjoyed chatting with the laborers who have made our home.

As I watch the green blush of new grass rising through the straw two weeks after that photo was taken, I want to sing for those heroes who made it possible. Here's to them and their heavy equipment.

What unsung heroes do you want to call out this week?

6 comments:

  1. LOL Unsung hero indeed. I am going to the gastroenterologist at lunch today. Now THAT is not a job most people would be willing to do. Yes, he's a doctor and probably makes a decent living. But, he deserves every penny.

    The contracter came Tuesday and dug the footings for our new patio. Then yesterday they were by and pored the concrete. I wish I could have been home to watch. I am fascinated by the whole building process.

    My husband has five more vacation days that I do; he plans to take some time off when the mason comes to lay the bricks. If I weren't saving a couple days for the expectant grandchild's birth; I would too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colossians 3:23-24
    23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

    Seems like he's living out that verse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My unsung hero today was our (auto) mechanic who inspected my car to see what work needs doing even with his arm in a sling and a heavily bandaged finger after having it was split open while working last week. It's bit of a shame he couldn't do the work today but totally understandable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is my unsung hero lots of days. Whenever any of the family has a computer issue he rescues us. The other day I couldn't update our GPS maps and I have software on my computer that will allow my son to actually get into my computer and figure out the problem. Which he did in about 5 minutes. My son is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand why people DON'T value skilled labour any longer - our lives wouldn't work without it! My unsung heroes today are the guys working for the restoration company cleaning up the sewer backup in our basement...yes, it's their job, but you know what isn't? Changing & cleaning the litter box, and they did that too. Plus, doing a job professionally and kindly is something to be proud of too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farmers! Both my grandfathers were farmers, It is very hard work, dependent on Mother Nature for success. Some years she is kind, others not. When she is kind, almost everyone's crops are successful, and prices drop. It's a tough life, but they loved it. Too often, we eat the food and don't think about the skill and hard work it takes to bring it in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!