Friday, July 29, 2011

Words, Words, Words of a Serendipitous Nature

One of my favorite places to surf on the web is The Quotations Page, which contains thousands of quotations of all sorts, plus a fabulously serendipitous Random Quotes function (link located in the sidebar of the home page link above). You just never know what you'll find on Random Quotes, and you can keep clicking for new ones. Here's what I found this morning:

"There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know." --Ambrose Bierce

 "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." --Bertrand Russell

"If you're hurting, you need to help somebody else ease their hurt. If you're in pain, help somebody else's pain." --Oprah Winfrey

"Providence has hidden a charm in difficult undertakings which is appreciated only by those who dare to grapple with them." --Anne-Sophie Swetchine

"Perpetual devotion to what a man calls his business, is only to be sustained by perpetual neglect of many other things." --Robert Louis Stevenson

Lots of good thoughts. I challenge you to do your own Random Quotes search. Find a quotation that speaks to you in this moment (silly, serious, profound, light-hearted...whatever floats your boat right now), and share it in the comments here. See what serendipitous words you can find and share with the rest of us!

7 comments:

  1. Great post. I worked for many years as a secretary at an alternative school setting. We had mostly inner city, troubled students, many with learning and/or behavioral disabilities. One of the things that I incorporated was a daily announcement, being sure that each day, one student was spotlighted for doing something good. I also put a few quotes in each one, and a joke or two. A few years before I retired, I was told that "that wasn't my job", and to stop "wasting time" on it. I can guarantee that the kids will probably remember one of those quotes for many years after he's forgotten his history lesson for the day! I love things like this - thanks for sharing with us something else about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, this one is so appropriate of what's going on with the crazies in Washington right now. Wanda

    "The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." --Bertrand Russell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for that link Susan.
    How appropriate that quote of Robert Louis Stevenson; we hear so often of the 'workaholic' and my thoughts immediately go to that workaholic's family. I wonder how much of life's marvels does the workaholic realise he/she has missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Why do we have to wait for special moments to say nice things or tell people we care about them?" - Randy K. Milholland

    Susan, I'm a firm believer in not waiting for special moments. The reactions I get are mixed: graciousness, astonishment and suspicion. I don't understand why it's so difficult for many people to just say "Thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the quotes. Check the one I found:

    The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way.
    Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)

    That just about says it all... lol :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link - I love quotes too.
    So I clicked and found . . .
    "Life is like getting dropped off in the middle of the woods, and then year by year, gradually walking home."
    April Foiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks,Susan! I love quotes, and this Random site
    is great. This quote is from one of my all-time favourite authors:
    "A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."
    Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!