Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Yay! May Is Mental Health Awareness Month!!!

This is my second post for today. Please scroll down to read today's essay.

Y'all who've been reading for a while know I experienced an episode (okay, years) of severe depression in my teens and early 20's. Y'all also know I got the help I needed to get out of that black hole and, praise the Lord, have not been dragged back into it.

I had the weirdest conversation a few weeks ago. An electrician and construction supervisor were in my house doing warranty work, and we struck up a conversation. Both men freely admitted to having suffered anxiety disorders. One was still on medication for it, and the other said he would go back on meds in a second if his symptoms returned. Their comfort in discussing their problems openly warmed the cockles of my heart.

BUT, too many people still believe that mental health problems are a choice. No. They. Are. Not. People who suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, bipolar disorder, autism, schizophrenia, ADHD, et. al. do NOT choose to be ill. Nor are they weak.

They need help. Professional help.

If you want to learn more about Mental Health Awareness month, please click HERE.

If you want to read Heather Armstrong's words about it, please click HERE. The many comments on her blog post will show you that you are not alone, whether you suffer from mental illness or have a loved one who suffers.

If you are suffering, GET HELP. Please. Just get help.

1 comment:

  1. I believe the stigma attached to seeking help prevents too many people from doing so.

    My daughter suffered from depression throughout her teen years and college. She was very fortunate to hook up with a super competent psychiatrist. Medication and couseling got her through a difficult time.

    When she met her now husband; she did not want her future inlaws to know that she was taking any medication. (And they are a physician and RN)

    I feel that my son could have benefited from some intervention as well; but refused. He is doing well today; but could have had much happier teen years.

    Both are doing very well nowadays. Like you, my daughter fought her demons and is now free of medication. My son seems to have grown out of his issues.

    During the breakdown of my marriage and through my divorce; counseling kept me sane.

    When my friends struggle with personal issues, my number one comment is, "you need somebody to talk to". Have you thought about counseling?

    A good counselor can make life so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!