Friday, March 19, 2010

Words, Words, Words about Work

The following is from Tea Time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith, volume 10 in The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series.

"She had recently read that scientists could not work out exactly when everything would come to an end and the earth would be swallowed up by the sun...and there would be nothing left of any of us. That had made her think, and she had raised the issue with her friend, Bishop Trevor Mwamba, over tea outside the Anglican Cathedral, one Sunday morning after the seven thirty service in English and just before the the nine thirty service in Setswana. 'Is it true,' she asked, 'that the sun will swallow up the earth and that will be that?'

"Trevor had smiled. 'I do not think that is going to happen in the near future, Mma Ramotswe,' he replied. 'Certainly not by next Tuesday, when the Botswana Mothers' Union meets. And frankly, I don't think that we should worry too much about that. Our concern should be what is happening right now. There is plenty of work for love to do, you know.'

"There is plenty of work for love to do. That was a wonderful way of putting it, and she had told him that this could be the best possible motto for anybody to have."

What work for love do you have today?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your insight and thought-provoking quotes. I LOVE the series of books about Mma Ramotswe. She and Mma Makutse crack me up in the stories about the apprentices. I listened to it read by Lisette Lecat so I could get the pronunciations of the names correct (but then I had to have the written text in front of me to understand!). My work of love today (since it is the 3rd Friday of the month) is taking a meal to a family whose mom and young daughter are in wheelchairs because of mitochondrial disease. They can't eat food, but the dad and 2 sons do! I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!