Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Socrates, Jon Katz, and Jimmy Buffett in One Short Post

Socrates said, "The more I know, the more I know that I know nothing." He had this figured out thousands of years ago, but each person needs to learn it anew for him- or herself. Jimmy Buffett put it this way, "Answers are the easy part. Questions raise the doubt." Or, in another song, Don Chu Know:

We're just recycled history machines
Cavemen in faded blue jeans
It's the unanswered question in each one of us
Don chu know
Don chu know
Don chu know

The more we learn the less we know
What you keep is what you can't let go
Take it fast or take it slow
Just one way for you to go
Don chu know

No, we don't know know. This morning, I read a post on the Bedlham Farm blog that got me thinking about Socrates and Jimmy. You can find it here: Looking for God. People with Answers.

What don't you know?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and article, Thank you Susan:0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much I don't know and perhaps we aren't intended to know everything. The only thing I do know for sure is that I try very hard to be true to myself because I hope that will help me to be true to others.
    Love your thought provoking ideas and essays Susan, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!