Thursday, December 12, 2013

Words, Words, Words from Anne Lamott and Rabindranath Tagore

"I have seen many people survive unsurvivable losses, and seen them experience happiness again. How is this possible?

"Love flowed to them from their closest people, and from their community, surrounded them, sat with them, held them, fed them, swept their floors. Time passed. In most cases, their pain evolved slowly into help for others. The great Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore wrote, 'I slept and dreamt that life was joy. / I awoke and saw that life was service. / I acted, and behold, service was joy.'"

--Anne Lamott, from Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers

2 comments:

  1. thank you, susan, for your wisdom, insight, and sensitivity. this has been a particularly difficult few weeks for me with my job as a homehealth/hospice nurse. i struggle sometimes to understand how i could possibly be helping, or why it always feels so hard. and you gently remind me that this is a process, a day by day, slow, evolving process of helping people deal with life's difficult times. we are all connected, and we are all in this together. thank you for the support. thank you for speaking to my heart.
    enjoy your weekend. may it be filled with joyous christmas love and music!
    marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marty, for the amazing and important work you do. Big, big hugs!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!