Friday, September 23, 2011

Words, Words, Words on Science and Religion

If you're reading this in email, please scroll down and read the related essay.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish.... We need each other to be what we must be, what we are called to be." Pope John Paul II

"The heart has its reason, which the reason can not know." Blaise Pascal

"Science and religion are two windows that people look through, trying to understand the big universe outside, trying to understand why we are here. The two windows give different views, but both look out at the same universe. Both views are one-sided, neither is complete. Both leave out essential features of the real world. And both are worthy of respect." Freeman Dyson, Physicist

"All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom." Albert Einstein

"Decades spent in contact with science and its vehicles have directed my mind and senses to areas beyond their reach. I now see scientific accomplishments as a path, not an end; a path leading to and disappearing in mystery. Science, in fact, forms many paths branching from the trunk of human progress; and on every periphery they end in the miraculous. Following these paths far enough, one must eventually conclude that science itself is a miracle—like the awareness of man arising from and then disappearing in the apparent nothingness of space. Rather than nullifying religion and proving that 'God is dead,' science enhances spiritual values by revealing the magnitudes and minitudes—from cosmos to atom—through which man extends and of which he is composed." Charles A. Lindbergh

Please share your own thoughts on this subject. All I ask is that your comments, no matter your opinion, be respectful and kind. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. You always give me something to ponder. Thanks for provoking my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that science is inspiration given to men by God. All technology has already been "discovered" or "conceived" by God and He, in His infinite wisdom, inspires men to create things to make our lives better. I know a lot of people who refuse to take part in shots and other medical advances because it is against their religion. While I respect their right to choose for themselves, I feel sad when I see this. Scientific advances make our lives better. Medical attention can save a life! IF God needs that person, it won't matter what amount of medical attention they receive. But I for one am grateful for science. Without it, I would never have discovered I have PCOS and that I need to take Metformin to help me become pregnant. Does this mean that I am relying on science more than God? No, of course not! I prayed to know when, where, and what needed to be done so that we could become pregnant! While I'm not pregnant yet, and it has been 7 long years, I am confident that God will continue to lead me in the direction I need to go in order to gain the true desires of my heart. To Him be the glory, I am grateful for all the scientific advances He has inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mynnette. I also love the fact that many who have goen out of their way to disprove the existance of God come to believe in him when they study the body, the universe etc. The intricacy of how things are put together is simply amazing. One iota of a shift in how planets revolve around the sun and we would either freeze to death or fry. A coincidence this stays in balance? Not in my mind. I love the story of some scientists who say they could create man from dirt and God says "get your own dirt".

    DO I negate what science does, no! Many wonderful advances in medicine and finding out hwo the body work make and saves our lives. Like Mynnette said, I believe God grants man wisdom to discover and create. Heard a great quote the other day in a sermom which sums things up wonderfully:

    "God gives just enough evidence and clues that compel the human heart to seek Him, but, leaves just enoguh out so that belief in God can never e purely rational"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!