Friday, April 16, 2010

Words, Words, Words from Fannie R. Buchanan


The Surprise

This morning, plain as plain could be,
A little birdie called to me
"Come out! Come out! Come out and see!"

A butterfly all bright and gay
Went flitting on to show the way,
"Just follow me," it seemed to say.

And all around I heard the bees
Whispering something to the breeze.
I thought they whispered, "Apple trees."

And then I shouted with delight!
Someone had been there in the night
And turned the trees all pink and white!

From Book Trails: For Baby Feet
copyright 1928
Shepard and Lawrence, Inc.
Child Development, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. i grew up in northern virginia, and this poem reminds me of going every spring to see the cherry blossoms around the Jefferson Memorial. they were spectacular!!
    thanks for sharing.
    have a nice weekend.
    i am jogging.walking the salt lake half marathon!!
    marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, susan
    we finished. it was long and hard.
    but we did it!!
    have a great weekend with your fellas.
    marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poems, I am glad I found your blog, really nice one :)

    Marinela x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Marty...congratulations! What an accomplishment!

    @Short Poems...welcome to my little corner of the internet. I'm so glad you're enjoying your stay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!