Friday, July 17, 2009

Words, Words, Words from Mary Oliver

Last week, I received an email from my good friend Betsy Hall with a link to a poem by Mary Oliver which eloquently expresses our very human longing for connection in the world and our gratitude when we find it, however fleetingly.

If you feel so inclined, click the link, read the poem, and come back to the comments here to share your impression of Oliver's words.

The Place I Want to Get Back to
by Mary Oliver

What comes to my mind when I think of the peaceful connectedness of Oliver's poem is feeling my babies move inside me. I don't literally want to go back to that place (yikes!), but the memory of my babies moving definitely takes me to that house called Gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, thanks for reminding me about this wonderful poem. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite writers. I had the same feeling this Spring when I watched a heron silently wade up and down a river bank for a full ten minutes. Those are the moments I live for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude deepens the older I get, but the place I'd like to get back to is the hopeful one I occupied as a young woman, when I believed in myself and when I believed in love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!