Monday, August 15, 2011

Gratitude Journal #100

Wow. One-hundred gratitude posts. That's pretty cool.

Today, I am grateful for laughter on long road trips. We were listening to NPR somewhere in Illinois. Or was it Indiana, Wisconsin, or Minnesota? Wherever. Someone quoted Ted Williams, who said, "If you don't think too good, don't think too much." *chortle*

Today, I am grateful for regional speech patterns. I heard my first "ya, you betcha" in the McDonald's in Virginia, Minnesota, and knew we had arrived at our destination, the place where George's roots grow. It's just like the "y'all" I hear in my family home in Charlotte...comforting and welcoming.

Today, I am grateful that when George sank his and Nick's canoe in three-foot-deep water, we got the funniest story of the entire vacation. Neither fisherman was hurt, and all the gear (most of which belonged to my father-in-law) was saved. Nick didn't panic and even learned a few new words. ("It was a rated R canoe voyage," he said.) When George retrieved his rod from the bottom of the lake, there was a perch attached to the line...the only fish he caught the entire trip.

Today, I'm grateful for time spent with family in a beautiful place where we had nothing much to do except enjoy each other's company, relax, read, kayak, fish, and watch the eagles and ospreys soar. What a blessing to us all.

Today, I'm grateful we are home safe and will pick up Miss Daisy today at the kennel. We missed our Furry Golden Sunshine so much!

Today, I'm grateful for the fact that the back-to-school countdown is in the single digits.

Today, I'm grateful for rest and the energy that follows it.

What are you grateful for today?

6 comments:

  1. Today I am grateful for quiet mornings. My husband is at work, my kids are still asleep and I have our one and only computer to myself!

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Susan--it is too funny about the fish being on the line! I'm happy you're about to be reunited with your Furry Golden Sunshine. I'm grateful for a fun evening last night with two fellow PTI forum friends--we met up for the first time in real life to celebrate the PTI release. We had intended to post online too, but we were talking and laughing so much we didn't. But we did manage to enter the contest, check out the full reveal, and order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful for my husband being able to let go of so much STUFF that he's been hoarding in the basement, garage, and sunroom - and send it merrily with the Auctioneer for our auction this weekend. I can't say it has made John happy to do this but he stepped up to the plate and did it. Sadly, even though two 22'trailer loads of stuff is gone it doesn't look like we've even put a dent in it - except for the sunroom. But it's a start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fishing story is too fun. We were at my BIL's cabin on the lake in Alberta and went out fishing on a very windy day - should have been our first sign LOL! Tried various spots to no avail so went back to the "tried and true spot" but the wind was a blowin! Scene plays out:
    - Boat drifted withing two feet of the reeds
    - We noticed just in time
    - BIL called for the kids to pull in their
    lines.
    - My daughter said she couldn't because she had
    a fish on her line!
    - Slow reverse out of the reeds with motor
    - The fish swims under the boat almost breaking
    the rod in half
    - we reverse enough to get the fish out from
    under the boat
    - Pull the fish in and almost get blown in to
    the reeds again
    - Reverse the boat again
    - Release the fish and get out of there!!
    - Stayed PG rated, but BIL got close to making
    it go R rated LOL!

    Great memories :)

    Today I'm thankful for my Guest Diva stint for Verve Stamps latest release (which was a huge one and got me a lot of free stamps!!). I LOVE Verve and it was such an amazing experience being able to play along with the Divas. Such a welcoming team and Julee (owner) is a truly amazing and giving lady. Needless to say, I'm in withdrawal, but totally fulfilled and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thankful for my niece, who is the daughter I never had. I'm thankful that I finshed her wedding invitations and that she was deliriously happy with them. Finally. (The third time WAS the charm...) Well, what can I say? She's just a tad persnickety, but the apple doesn't fall far, etc, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for friends.... my best friend who spent the afternoon making cards with me...and a friend who stopped by in the evening to share a wedding album of her daughter..and another friend who came by with some home sewn burp rags for my newest grandson! Paper Doll

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!