Friday, January 7, 2011

Words, Words, Words for the Year

"The Old Year has gone. Let the dead past bury its own dead. The New Year has taken possession of the clock of time. All hail the duties and possibilities of the coming twelve months!" Edward Payson Powell

"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." Oprah Winfrey

------------------------------
Here are the words I have so far. Let me know if you want to add your word to this list!

Me: Learn

George: Relax

Mom: Practice

Starla: Leap

Sue B.: Celebrate

Francie: Appreciate

Sue: Satisfied

Susan K.: Bigger

Lisa: Free

Linda R.: Enjoy

Claire L.: Delegate

Mickey: Acceptance

Cheryl L.: Create

Karen L.: Reflection

Marilyn: Believe

Amy: Positive

iriseyes: Act, Kind

Mari: Expand

Susan: White Space

Angela L.: Nature

Courtney L.: Write

Ginny: Focus

Nicole: Unrepentant

Janet: Trim

Kathy: Redefine
 
 
Now, the next step is to decide how to implement your word. Sue B has already started to celebrate by soliciting birthday cards for her husband, who will turn 90 in February. If you would like to contribute to her celebration effort, please let me know!
 
Please share your word (if you haven't already) and how you plan on getting started with it for 2011.

11 comments:

  1. Acceptance. I will be learning a whole lot about that word this year and it's a concept I've always struggled with. Acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CREATE! I plan to spend more time in my messy room making cards, doing altered books, and learning by creating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reflection. For me, that means considering and reflecting upon actions I've taken in the past year(s) and the results, good or bad, and putting more consideration into my goals/actions this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm way too busy, always zooming around, juggling so many things, staying up way too late. So my aim is to slow down and live a life at a saner pace. So hard to decide what NOT to do - I want to do it all. So what's the word going to be? Simplify? Unclutter? Declutter? Laser-living? Balance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am keeping my word: BELIEVE - "wholly commit yourself". This word is not done with me yet. In the midst of my many storms, in the last year(s), this word focused me directly on Jesus, kept me focused and keeps me crossed-eyed.

    I 'believe' in endless possibilities when we are faithful. It is also connected to the word: FAITH - making things happen, but not necessarily easy. :o) Growing in faith surrounded by His grace... now that's believing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, perhaps either Balance or Slow would be a positive word for you. Or maybe Prioritize.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Expand. I'd like to expand my knowledge of photography & editing (which means I'm taking a freebie texture class & got some PSE 9 books). I'd also like to expand my friendships with other moms & my neighbors. I'd like to expand my son's horizons (with a spanish class! and swimming!). One thing I *don't* want to expand is my waist! No more expansion there, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friends and I have been naming our years for a few years now. The year before I retired was the year of preparation, then my first year of retirement was the year of reinvention, last year was the year of organization, and this year was totally inspired by you and your column a while back on white space so I have named this my year of white space. Many thanks and much gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My word would be "focus." Just as cameras are focused by the photographer, I want to think carefully about where I focus my efforts. It's easy in this life to get sidetracked. If I focus correctly then the answer to the following questions will be a resounding "yes." Am I growing in faith? Am I enjoying life? Am I making someone else's life better?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've finally decided - my word is going to be TRIM. Trim my body by 8 kgs, my life of too many activities and my house of too much clutter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!