Thursday, September 4, 2014

IM Moo Begins

George and I arrived in Madison, Wisconsin, this afternoon for his eighth Ironman race. On the drive into town, we caught first sight of Lake Monona, where the swim portion of the race takes place. George said, "My stomach just did a flip turn."

Pre-race jitters are nothing new.

We met up today with George's sister Angela and her husband, Mike. Mike and George will race on Sunday. Angela and I will carry their bike pumps and cheer them on.



Tomorrow, George's coworker David and his family will join us as well. It's going to be a great race this year.

I can feel it.

Our first stop after dumping luggage and bike at the hotel was Starbucks. That's a very good sign. Starbucks opens at 3:30 AM on race morning.

Salted Caramel Mocha...yum

I'm going to need me some caffeine and sugar. For sure.

After our Starbucks pick-me-up, we walked down to Monona Terrace (race central) and George checked in, got his goodie bag and wrist band and timing chip...everything he needs for race day. After taking all that back to the hotel, George decided to go for a little swim. It's extremely windy today, so the water is super choppy, which makes sighting while swimming, ahem, a challenge.

It makes breathing while swimming hard, too. George didn't stay in the water that long, but it was good enough to loosen him up after hours in the car.



As you can see in the background, there were other racers getting the feel of the water. Today it's a little slow, but tomorrow, when almost all the participants will arrive, this area of the shore will have the atmosphere of a big, impromptu party, with lots of people pulling on wetsuits and swim caps and heading out to loosen up and to get the feel of the water. It's always a fun time because Ironman racers are, generally speaking, a happy, cheerful, friendly lot.

Must be all the endorphins.

Tonight, in just a bit, we will join Ang and Mike for dinner at some excellent area eatery because, really, an Ironman is all about nutrition.

If I'm going to get through this race, I'd better keep up my strength. 

4 comments:

  1. My least favorite segment of a tri is the swimming. I was fine in the pool; but the lake really intimidated me. I was terrible at sighting. Blech.

    I have a mental picture of you with your Starbucks in one hand and your tote bag in the other. I imagine the tote contains your kindle, snacks, tissues, sunscreen and your phone so you don't have to carry a purse. : P

    I hope you have a great time and that George finishes at a time that makes him happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left my purse at home and am carrying the backpack George gave me when I started grad school. So much easier!

      Delete
  2. Susan,
    Welcome to Madison, my home town for forty years since I married a former captain in USAF. I hope the weather improves; we want blue skies and fluffy white clouds for the race. I hope that George enjoys his eighth Ironman, and that you enjoy Starbucks and all the good food that Madison offers while carrying George's bike pump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Helen! You live in a great town with great people!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!