Monday, May 13, 2013

Gratitude Journal #187

Today, I am grateful for my mother and George's mother and all the mothers who care about their children, love them, and teach them how to love.

Today, I am grateful for my husband, who did a triathlon on his birthday and smoked a bunch of guys on the bike (13 out of 80 on the bike, 22 overall!). I am grateful for this good start to his triathlon season, for his finding good running shoes that are easy on his knees, and for his new bike that makes him fast and happy!

Today, I am grateful for my children. Jack is home sick today, and I am grateful that he just has a head cold and cough and nothing serious.

Today, I am grateful for Judy and Linda, both of whom offered to get Jack another Nebraska pencil. Our nephew Eli has it covered although it remains to be seen if Jack will accept the replacement!

Today, I am grateful for Great Horned Owls in general and the two who visited our trees early Sunday morning in particular. Listening to their slow, low Morse-code conversation was such a blessing in the dark. To hear a recording that's close to what I heard (my owls were very mellow!), click here, scroll down a bit to Great Horned Owl, and click Listen.

photo copyright Ashley Hockenberry

Today, I am grateful no one died in the New Orleans shooting yesterday. May all the wounded recover fully both physically and emotionally from such an awful experience.

What are you grateful for today?

4 comments:

  1. Loyal, caring friends like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that I get to spend time with my 87 year-old Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful that I have cousins who are demented enough to challenge the rest of us to strive for an insanely amount of miles of biking, hiking, running, walking by the end of the year.

    I'm grateful that that demented gene runs strong in our family and that there are 4 (working on the 5th one!) of us who accepted the challenge.

    I'm grateful that I have a wonderful husband who is cheering me on with the mile challenge and not fussing about the even more neglected house work.

    I'm thankful for kids who rode their bikes 20 miles with me for Mother's day brunch instead of staying at home.

    I'm thankful that you share this spot for the rest of us to focus on the positive instead of the negatives. It is a wonderful way to begin the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Horned Owls are wonderful. I saw one of them ages ago, driving my brother home from a concert. It was around midnight, on a deserted country road, and this giant *thing* was in the middle of the road. I slowed down until I was within about 15 feet of it, and then it turned its head and looked at me. DANG. Those big eyes, the pointy head! I sat in awe for a few seconds then reached over and woke up my sleeping brother. We both just sat in amazement until it gathered itself up and flew off.

    This happened a good 20 years ago, but I'll never forget the face on that bird. I really envy you, getting to hear a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to comment!